Sunday, July 17, 2016

Promoting local artists

Downstairs in the coffeeshop area, there is a display that promotes the products of local artists and designers - there's handmade books, soap, buttons, tea, small wood and ceramic goods - all made by artists from the community.

One of my tasks has been to take photos of these products to promote them on social media.

These are some photographs of the handmade leather bracelets, using all natural light and materials found within the building. I really enjoy these quick, on-location product shoots! I'm not much of a studio person and find it much easier to be comfortable in creative with space to move and think, and find light rather than add it myself.








I've also been lucky enough to meet some of the local artists and business owners who have some of their work in the shop. Eilandarts orders their tea from a store up the street called Spirit to Sole Connection. All their teas and other herbal remedies are homemade by the woman who owns the store.



Again, shot on location using available light - I drink these myself now and it was great to see where they actually are made, and who makes them!

I enjoy using social media to promote other artists and I really like working in a place that puts community at its center. This is something that is very important to me as a maker and something that I've always wanted to foster in my own life and work.

1 comment:

  1. This is so cool!! I love your photos, and totally agree that I enjoy finding the natural light to enhance the picture rather than create your own. Not only are the belts really beautiful, but I think your use of the natural light really enhanced the attractiveness of the product, as well as the photograph itself. Well done!

    ReplyDelete