Monday, July 25, 2016

Internship Interview Part 2

Since I had two bosses working at Smith Memorial Playground, I decided to interview them boss. Cheryl Carson works as the Executive Director and attend Uarts as a dance major. Both my bosses were always busy and swept me up in the nonstop world of working at a nonprofit.


What was your first experience with art? “I started dancing when I was four. It was a ballet, tap, jazz combination class for kids.”

How/Why did you attend Uarts? “When I was in high school, I did a summer program there. I was a junior in highschool and for a month I was in Philly. I liked the school and the city. And I learned Uarts was one of the only schools in the country that provided Jazz dance as a major.” 

Is there anything you would do differently in your career? “I think I wish that I had more a performance career. I did a lot of stuff in Philly independently with smaller dance companies. I always thought I would dance on Broadway or do bigger stuff. It isn’t a regret but I do wonder what it would have been like to be on Broadway doing 8 shows a week. That type of thing.” 

What is the biggest thing you’ve learned working at Smith? “I would say everything working in this area. The playground aspect, working with kids, civic engagement is a new territory for me. I’m used to working in Arts and Culture.” 

Have you had any mentors/anyone who has impacted you? “Yeah, my first real job out of college was working part time for an arts education organization. It was a small nonprofit of just me working with the director. I learned a lot of things about nonprofits working there. Her name is Linda Fiore and she works currently at Temple.” 

Any advice for me personally? “I think you’re doing a really good job. Try a lot of different things, that is one of the benefits of being in school. You can see a lot of things and try a lot of things. Even if you hate something you’re still learning. You can’t form an opinion until you really see it. Don’t burn bridges, in career I have worked with two of my professors from Uarts. I wouldn’t have thought in was a reality originally. I worked hard and was attentive but when I went to work for them they remembered that. Put your best foot forward cause you don’t know what’s gonna come down the pike. 

What was your journey from Uarts to Smith? “Bouncing around different organizations. And trying to improve myself at each organization. And taking skills from each job to the next. There is a lot of turnover. I wanted to find a place that I can hang out for awhile and not bounce around too much. Now that I have children it has opened a new door for me. I can always support arts and culture in other ways other than working for it. It’s always gonna be apart of my life.” 



No comments:

Post a Comment