Thursday, July 28, 2016

How the internship shaped me

How do you plan to take what you are learning and observing back to UArts, or into your post-undergraduate life?


I knew that working at Smith Memorial Playground would be a good experience for me.  I have a lot of experience working with kids. I don't plan on working with children in the future. But I knew that the knowledge I gained could be a great asset for the internship.

I immediately felt welcome among the employees, managers and directors who worked for Smith. They made sure I was "christened" in, which meant sliding down their huge slide. 

The small little ecosystem of Smith filled me with an eagerness to attend work. I felt a connection to the community of Philadelphia. The playground does such amazing things for families of all incomes. I was a part of a group whose main goal was education and fun. While I walked around snapping photos of families, I couldn't help but feel part of something bigger.

It wasn't until this year that I knew I wanted to help those who surrounded me. The Playground internship gave me a taste of what that was actually like. I officially plan to work for a non-profit once I graduate due to this organization. 

Smith taught me the following things: 

-working at a computer in an office is not hellish for me. 
-spending time interacting with others is incredibly important to my work ethic 
-being involved directly with the community is tough (sometimes irritating) but rewarding 
-even though I don't want to work with kids, they are truly amazing to be around 
- working for a nonprofit may just be my path in life 

In fact, not soon after my internship ended I traveled to Nairobi, Kenya. I am currently here working for a NGO called Art & Abolition. Smith gave me the foundation for working in organizations. But it also showed me that I want to work in the US to help those I live around. 

I miss those I worked with and plan to visit for their next kid's concert. 

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this entire post! I loved how you mentioned you feel like you're a part of something bigger, just reading that was inspiring for me. This makes me want to check out the park !

    ReplyDelete