Tuesday, August 9, 2016

What I enjoyed about Smith

Looking back on my experience at Smith has proved helpful for what I may be looking for in a future work environment. I can now clearly funnel what I want and don't want in a job down to a list.



  • Taking photographs of the families at Kidchella: Connecting with others through art made me feel proud of what I was accomplishing. I was giddy to show the adorable photographs of the kids to my boss. I am no professional photographer, but it felt good to be working in the real world just doing some I liked. 
  • Conversing with the performers: After the show ended, I got the chance to discuss life in general with Shawana Kemp of Shine and the Moonbeams. She explained what life is like the older you get and how your perception changes through age. I found our conversation incredibly entertaining and funny. I walked away feeling like I had truly connected with someone in a tiny little moment. It's a moment that I can't recreate, for that I am even more indebted to Smith. 
  • Creating interview questions for the e-newsletter: If there's one good thing I am good at, it's asking insightful questions. I pride myself in being able to create the foundations for a meaningful conversation. I created questions for the Kidchella performers to answer for the e-newsletter. The questions were used to promote Kidchella and help Smith members understand more about who will be performing. 
  • Working with people from different backgrounds: I really think a diverse work force is a strong one. Smith had many people from all sorts of different backgrounds working for them. 
  • Being on camera: I love taking selfies just as much as the next person. But as soon as I was to make a promo video to put on a segment for Fox News, I refused to  be seen on camera. I may just be someone to be behind the scenes. Which is something that still surprises me given my personality. 
I honestly only have one more area of my internship that weren't enjoyable. That was the heat of a Philadelphian summer beating down on us as the performers sang. That...I would do without for awhile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment