Thursday, August 4, 2016

Final Post (Post #8)

I completed my last day at my internship last Friday. These past few months have truly been a learning experience. I have worked on both the administrative and creative side of the company, grant writing, sending invoices, communicating with company contacts, scheduling, making donation requests, helping out in rehearsals, and understudying choreography. I now have a sense of both the company's creative process and overall aesthetic, in addition to its operations as a nonprofit. 

Throughout my internship, I learned choreography from a new work, "Dances On Wood" with an original score by Gerald Busby, and excerpts from two other pieces of company repertory. Eryc also invited me to create a small solo. I was able to utilize the company's studio space and rehearse individually with Eryc to develop this piece. Though it can be frustrating, I love choreographing, and it was satisfying include the process of making my own work with my other responsibilities this summer. Below is link to a video of what amounted from this project. Though dance is difficult and can always be improved upon, I fully enjoyed partaking in this endeavor, and I am thrilled to have had the opportunity to dance and choreograph during my time in New York. 

No comments:

Post a Comment